The total cost of your Exchange varies depending on the country of Exchange, your departure location and your personal budget.
The cost of a Rotary Exchange also varies between each District (see to the right) around Australia. To get a more detailed idea of the costs of an Exchange from your local Rotary District, use the District locator to the right. Some Districts offer a package price for many of the obligatory cost items.
Below is a broad outline of costs, to give you a general idea.
The student’s natural parents or guardian provide for all of the following costs:
- An administration fee
- Return airfare, as arranged by Rotary, to the country of exchange
- Personal insurance, as defined by Rotary International
- Internal travel in overseas country including Rotary organised tours
- Day to day living expenses of the student, postage, phone calls, personal items, clothing, footwear etc.
- A small emergency fund (redeemable at conclusion of exchange, if unused)
- Rotary approved host families who provide a family environment for the student
- Schooling and the payment of normal school fees and expenses
- A monthly allowance of approximately US$100 to the student
- A student counselor, both here and in the host country
- Back up support and counseling for the family of the student
Amounts vary but we suggest you allow approximately $5,000 to $10,000 for additional expenses throughout the year.
Naturally, you have to consider these amounts against what it normally costs to keep you for 12 months living at home.